[Mailman-Users] can't get "open" list to work

bergenpeak at comcast.net bergenpeak at comcast.net
Sat Apr 12 14:51:35 CEST 2008

I've got a number of mail lists I'd like to run without requiring the user to performan a confirmation or for the list-admin to approve.  I've added to "mm_cfg.py" the lines:

DEFAULT_SUBSCRIBE_POLICY = 0
ALLOW_OPEN_SUBSCRIBE = yes

and then stopped and restarted mailman.  If I send a  message with "subscribe" in the subject to one of the lists, the list admin still gets a mail indicating that the subscription request needs to be approved.

Thinking that the issue was that the user was a non-member, I added the user's domain into the "accept_these_nonmembers".  The behavior is the same-- the list admin gets a mail to approve their subscription request.

I then removed the domain info under "accept_these_nonmembers" and changed "generic_nonmember_action" to accept and the list admin still get a mail indicating an approval is required.

The "subscribe_policy" shows as none under the UI.

Is there another setting I need to tweak so that the list admin does not need to approve subscriptions?

Is a completely open list (no user confirmation, no list admin approval) possible?  I intend to lock things down via the ban list once I get the open portion working as I expect.

I'm running mailman 2.1.9 on red hat.

Thanks