[Mailman-Users] Attachments and blank messages

Sciamano sciamano72 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 11:29:53 CEST 2008

Hello,
I'm using Mailman to manage a mailing list, which was previously
hosted on yahoogroups.
I like it so far, but I'm encountering what I think is a filtering problem.

Basically, I don't want any attachments except for text files, nor any
HTML messages sent to the list.

The list seems to work fine for most of the subscribers, except for
two of them, whose messages are creating problems: one who uses his
office email account and whose server attaches a disclaimer to the
messages, and the other who is using an Excite email account, which
adds an HTML banner to the bottom of his messages.

Depending on how I set the list up, only one of these two members
messages get delivered to the entire list correctly. The other one's
get delivered as blank messages (althought they show up correctly in
the archive). I can't seem to be able to set the filtering properties
in order to have both members' messages delivered correctly.

More specifically, if I set content filtering this way:

------------begin-------------------------
Should Mailman filter the content of list traffic according to the
settings below?
(Edit filter_content): YES

Remove message attachments that have a matching content type.
(Details for filter_mime_types): BLANK

Remove message attachments that don't have a matching content type.
Leave this field blank to skip this filter test.
(Details for pass_mime_types): BLANK

Remove message attachments that have a matching filename extension.
(Edit filter_filename_extensions): exe bat cmd com pif scr vbs cpl zip
rar ace bin iso jpg jpeg jpe tif tiff gif bmp

Remove message attachments that don't have a matching filename
extension. Leave this field blank to skip this filter test.
(Edit pass_filename_extensions): BLANK

Should Mailman collapse multipart/alternative to its first part content?
(Edit collapse_alternatives): YES

Should Mailman convert text/html parts to plain text? This conversion
happens after MIME attachments have been stripped.
(Edit convert_html_to_plaintext): YES

Action to take when a message matches the content filtering rules.
(Details for filter_action): REJECT
--------end--------------

the posts from the member using an Excite account get delivered
correctly, but those from the member using his office mail get
delivered as three attachments, two of which contain the list's header
and footer, and one containing the post. The problem is that not every
member receives the three attachments correctly, some only receive an
empty attachment.

I tried changing the collapse_alternatives setting to:

------------begin-------------------------
Should Mailman collapse multipart/alternative to its first part content?
(Edit collapse_alternatives): NO

But when the list is set up this way, the posts from the "office
member" get delivered correctly, but those from the "Excite member"
arrive blank.

How can I have both members' posts delivered correctly?
Please help, thanks a lot.

--
Luca Somazzi
Milano, Italia