[Mailman-Users] Am I correct that mailman will work with a remote SmartHost?

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Thu Apr 10 04:50:47 CEST 2008

On 4/9/08, John Kennedy wrote:

>  Am I correct believing  that mailman will work with a remote
>  SmartHost?        Thru my ISP?

Depending on how the smarthost is configured, yes.

If they require that you do some sort of authentication, I think
that's beyond what you can do with the stock version of Mailman and
you may need to make some source code modifications, or find an
alternative way to achieve the same goal.

If they authenticate you by your IP address, you should be fine.

>  I'm a newbie and I want to avoid setting up a mail server on my machine
>  if possible.  I believe that mailman will work with a SmartHost but I
>  am unsure.  I am using Kubuntu linux.

Keep in mind that you still need to have some way to get the mail
*into* Mailman, and you need some way to update the aliases that tell
the MTA what mailing lists exist and what command should be run as a
result.

If you're not going to run a local MTA on your box, you need to find
alternative ways to do all these things.