[Mailman-Users] Changing mm_cfg.py for existing lists

Jussi Hirvi greenspot at greenspot.fi
Tue Apr 8 12:20:50 CEST 2008

Hi,

This problem is now solved, I think...

Mark Sapiro (mark at msapiro.net) kirjoitteli (7.4.2008 17:55):
> SMTP_MAX_RCPTS is a setting that affects all SMTP delivery. It is not a
> list setting. Setting it in mm_cfg.py and restarting Mailman is all
> that is required.

Ok, that's good to know for sure!

> Why do you think it isn't effective?

After restarting Mailman I still got "Too many recipients" errors in the
Sendmail log (maillog).

Now I checked again, and there are still "Too many recipients" errors, but
when I check later entries, I find out that the Hotmail emails have finally
been sent.

I didn't do any systematic checking, but on the basis of a small sample, it
seems that everything works OK!!

> Note that if you mis spell SMTP_MAX_RCPTS in your mm_cfg.py setting, it
> won't work and there will be no complaint.

That sure is easy to misspell - btw, "misspell" is one word, not two. :-D

Hank van Cleef (vancleef at lostwells.net) kirjoitteli (7.4.2008 18:42):
> I think you will have to set the limit lower than 9.  My list runs
> with
> SMTP_MAX_RCPTS = 5

Thanks Hank,

We will let it be 9 now for a while - so far the list admins haven't
complained. :-) If there will be problems again, I will lower the value, as
you suggested.

I'm glad I found this mailing list, it already proved helpful. Thanks all!

- Jussi

--
Jussi Hirvi * Green Spot
Topeliuksenkatu 15 C * 00250 Helsinki * Finland