[Mailman-Users] Changing mm_cfg.py for existing lists

Hank van Cleef vancleef at lostwells.net
Mon Apr 7 17:42:25 CEST 2008

The esteemed Jussi Hirvi has said:

> Hi, list,
>
> The problem I'm trying to solve is that Hotmail (and probably msn.com) do
> not accept our Mailman emails - this seems to be a new phenomenon. The error
> code is "too many recipients". From other sources I assume that Hotmail now
> accept sonly max 9 recipients per one request, while Mailman's default
> maximum is 500.
>
> I try to solve this by adding
> SMTP_MAX_RCPTS = 9
> to my mm_cfg.py.
>
> After Mailman restart, this seems to have no effect on existing lists - like
> I expected.

I think you will have to set the limit lower than 9.  My list runs
with
SMTP_MAX_RCPTS = 5

It has been a couple of years since I experimented with this, and the
problem I was dealing with was that verizon.net would either accept
mails immediately or defer them until the MTA expired them.

With a limit of 5 recipients, I get good delivery to all of the big
mail sites except yahoo.com.  They will defer even single-recipient
list priority mails during prime time, but deliver them within 24 hours.

Read your MTA logs in addition to reading the bounce messages.  I have
had problems where the bounce message said one thing but the MTA log
said something quite different.

Hank