[Mailman-Users] Control of newsgroup posters

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Apr 7 02:28:57 CEST 2008

David Beaumont wrote:

>Thanks but we have the newsgroup because some members, albeit a few, prefer
>a newsgroup interface.  They would definitely not want to use the newsgroup
>to read and then have to use email to post.
>
>I am experimenting with the mailman option 'List of non-member addresses
>whose postings will be immediately held for moderation' and adding
>'*@pegasus.annex.net'  which is what shows in the headers of the gated
>newsgroup posts (with * being a random number).  Am I wasting my time
>looking into that?

Yes. If the post is gated from usenet, all the
member/moderation/non-member tests are bypassed.

>If not do I have the * right - I don't understand the
>mailman help line  "start the line with a ^ character to designate a regular
>expression match", can someone give examples of that usage to obtain the
>wildcard function?

It's a regular expression, not a wildcard or glob. The correct thing
for what you would want is '^.*@pegasus\.annex\.net$' (see
<http://docs.python.org/lib/re-syntax.html>), but that is moot because
it won't work.

If this is your Mailman installation, and this is the only list you
gate from news, you could change the last line of the lines

                inq = get_switchboard(mm_cfg.INQUEUE_DIR)
                inq.enqueue(msg,
                            listname = mlist.internal_name(),
                            fromusenet = 1)

which begin at line 174 in cron/gate_news from

                            fromusenet = 1)

                            tolist = 1)

This would make the message look like any list post, but you may then
run into holds like 'implicit destination' on posts from unmoderated
members, but I gather you want them all held anyway.

If you have other gated news groups that don't want this behavior, you
can still do it, but the change becomes more complex.

You might even change the name of cron/gate_news to say
cron/our_gate_news and change the crontab accordingly so that your
change doesn't get reversed in an upgrade.