[Mailman-Users] list address in From: line post message to closed list

Steve Lindemann steve at marmot.org
Thu Apr 3 21:18:17 CEST 2008

I'm sorry, I'm just not sure what the best subject line would be for
this... 8^(    I'm sure this has been going on for ages, but it's only
just recently been brought to my attention.

The problem - when the list email address is (spoofed) in the From: line
(as well as being on the To: line) the message posts to the list.  The
ability to post to the list is supposed to be restricted to only list
members.  The list address is not in the list of list members.

Is this normal?  I checked the config and there did see anything to
allow this behavior there.  Is the list email address automatically
considered to be a member of the list?  I can always block it in
"privacy options->sender filters", but should that even be necessary?  Help!

I checked what documentation I can find and couldn't find any mention of
this behaviour.  I didn't have a clue how to look for it in the FAQ so I
settled for reading the index and didn't see anything resembling this
there either.
--
Steve Lindemann                         __
Network Administrator                  //\\  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
email: mailto:steve at marmot.org
voice: +1.970.242.3331 ext 116
   fax: +1.970.245.7854