[Mailman-Users] Problem With Mailman Migration

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Apr 2 23:40:29 CEST 2008

Michael J Wise wrote:

>I've recently moved our mailman service to a different server. It
>appears to be working well in all regards but one. When I attempt to
>manage a list from the webpage interface on the correct server it sends
>me to the admin password authorization page on the old server. All lists
>constantly refer back to the old server for admin tasks.
>
>I have set the mm_cfg.py file properly with our new servers address
>(xxxxx.domain.tld), and have run withlist -l -r fix_url both in "-a"
>mode and individually on the various lists with no results.

This is exactly the kind of thing that fix_url is supposed to fix. The
fact that it doesn't indicates problems with your host settings in
Defaults.py/mm_cfg.py

What you want to start with in mm_cfg.py is (with your own host names
of course)

DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'www.example.com'
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'example.com'
VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()

If you don't have that, do that, restart Mailman and run fix_url again

>I also would
>like to know how to shutdown the old mailman admin web page. I have
>edited out the reference to mailman in httpd.conf and restarted the
>daemon with no success; there are no aliases to mailman in the
>httpd.conf file aside from what I edited.

Then there is some non-obvious magic at work. If you don't have the
ScriptAlias for Mailman in httpd.conf, how is httpd getting to those
CGI scripts?  You might get a clue from your httpd access_log.

>The server platform is Mac Server 10.4.11. Thank you for your help.

Which I assume is still the Apple modified Mailman 2.1.5. Maybe these
are Apple questions.