[Mailman-Users] Beginner questions

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sun Sep 30 03:46:36 CEST 2007

Chris Arnold wrote:

>I am not understanding this at all. I have made an alias on the
>mailserver with listname at domain.tld and it redirects mail to my personal
>account; i can send mail to it from inside and outside the network but
>how are other people going to get mail with this config?

I'm probably as lost as you about what you've done on which machine,
but here's some basic information.

Each list requires a set of 10 aliases to be installed in the MTA of
the Mailman machine. In a default installation, they look like the
following set for a list named 'list'.

list: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post list"
list-admin: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman admin list"
list-bounces: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman bounces list"
list-confirm: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman confirm list"
list-join: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman join list"
list-leave: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman leave list"
list-owner: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman owner list"
list-request: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman request list"
list-subscribe: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe list"
list-unsubscribe: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe list"

These aliases allow the MTA on the Mailman machine to pipe mail
addressed to 'list' and its 'list-*' administrative addresses.

You say you have Postfix installed on the Mailman machine, so if you
configure Postfix-Mailman integration per
<http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node13.html>, these aliases
should be generated automatically as you create lists.

The above will allow list mail that reaches Postfix on the Mailman
machine to be delivered to Mailman.

Now you will need to arrange for list mail from the outside world to be
delivered to the Mailman machine.

This can be done by having a unique domain or domains for the Mailman
lists and using DNS to rout that mail to the Mailman machine, or if
list mail is going first to the maim mail server machine, then it
needs to be told to relay all 10 addresses per list to the Mailman
machine.
.