[Mailman-Users] Beginner questions

Chris Arnold carnold at electrichendrix.com
Sat Sep 29 05:56:42 CEST 2007

Brad Knowles wrote:
> It certainly could be, yes.
>
> One thing you could do is to define a separate
> "lists.yourdomain.example.com" entry in your DNS, which points to the
> same IP address as your webserver, and has MX records in the DNS which
> point to your webserver. Then when mail comes in for
> "listname at lists.yourdomain.example.com", it automatically gets sent to
> where it belongs.
>
> This would isolate the Zimbra main mail server on one machine from the
> mailing list server on a different machine, and allow you to easily
> integrate Mailman with sendmail on the webserver. That sort of thing
> would be covered in the Mailman installation & configuration
> documentation, although you'd need to choose which method of
> integration you would want to use.

OK, i have posfix installed and configured on the webserver (according
to the mailman doc). When i send a test message to the list, i get a
undeliverable notice:

Reporting-MTA: dns; host.domain.tld
Arrival-Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 23:38:10 -0400 (EDT)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; listname at domain.tld
Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; mytimewithgod.net

I have a dns entry that points to the webserver and a mx record that
points to the webserver. I just thought of something that might be
causing the problem: the "real" mail server serves the virtual domain
that the list also is for. It appears all mail is going to that
mailserver and the user does not exist on the mailserver. Just in case,
i have a skype, aim and yahoo IM account.