[Mailman-Users] majordomo type unique subscribe address for all lists on a site?

Benoit Panizzon benoit.panizzon at imp.ch
Thu Sep 27 15:38:12 CEST 2007

Hi All

A while ago I did migrate a listserver from majordomo to mailman. Everything
worked very well, but there is one issue which causes me a headache.

There are a few popular lists on this server which are mentioned on various
websites 'out there'.

Of course the instructions on how to subscribe still reffer to majordomo:

=> send a list to majordomo at listserver and put 'subscribe listname' in the
mail body.

I did hope to be able to get mailman to also understand such requests but I'm
still failing.

I made a mail forwarding from majordomo at listserver to
mailman-request at listserver so the old majordomo address still does work.

But mailman does only just understand the keyword 'subscribe' and does not
parse the following maillist name.

So all users trying to subscribe the majordomo way to the maillist end up by
subscribing to the internal 'mailman' mailinglist instead to the one they
wish to subscribe to.

Does anyone know a solution to this problem?

Regards
-Benoit-