[Mailman-Users] Mailman charset problems

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Sep 25 18:46:04 CEST 2007

Pál Viktor wrote:

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>Pál Viktor writes:
>
>>> I have a problem with the mailman web interface output.
>>> I use the hungarian translation, which should be generated as an
>>> ISO-8859-2 html file, but it generates an UTF-8 output.
>>> I have checked the text files which are related to the web output and
>>> they are all in ISO-8859-2.
>>
>>I seem to recall that this is a known bug, and I believe it was fixed
>>after Mailman 2.1.5.  You should see if there is a more recent version
>>of mailman packaged by Ubuntu.  The fix may be fairly recent, and
>>there are known security problems fixed in each revision.  You should
>>get the most recent version available, currently 2.1.9.
>
>I made a dist upgrade on my ubuntu from dapper to edgy.
>Now I have mailman version 2.1.9-4ubuntu1~edgy1.
>The problem is solved 90%.
>There is the page /cgi-bin/mailman/admin/LISTNAME.
>I do not mean the admin page itself, but the page where you are
>prompted to give the administrator password for the list.
>On this page there are still parts in UTF-8. The part above the hr tag.
>As I see all the other pages seem to be ok.
>The files which contain the text of this page are in ISO-8859-2.
>
>It's a little bit strange.

Yes, it is strange. I have tried to duplicate this, and I don't see it.

Does this occur with the admin login only, or also with admindb login?
And is private archive login OK?

In your original post, you say you checked all the stuff I would
suggest, and it all seems right. I can only think of two other things.

1) Is it possible there is an 'old' version of this page cached in your
browser or a proxy? (I know that's a stretch, but ...)

2) It is possible for the template text to be coerced to Unicode during
interpolation if any of the interpolated values are Unicode strings,
or if interpolation throws a UnicodeError exception. It's hard to see
how these exceptions might occur if the template isn't broken. Is
there an edited template in any of

lists/<listname>/hu/admlogin.html
templates/<list.host_name>/hu/admlogin.html
templates/site/hu/admlogin.html