[Mailman-Users] Membership List Retrieval Issue - Permissions

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Sep 24 05:01:27 CEST 2007

Brian Luria wrote:

>I am the creator and administrator of all lists I've set up on a mailman
>install and my email is listed under general options of list administrator
>When I send a -request message with who in subject line, I get a bounce that
>I dont have permission to get list of members.
>This only happens with lists that I am NOT subscribed to, otherwise no
>problem.

The roster (via web or email 'who' command) is available to Anyone,
List members or List admin only depending on the setting of Privacy
Options...->Subscription rules->private_roster.

It seems that your lists are set up with the roster restricted to
members. If that is the case, the simple format of the email 'who'
command is

  who <password>

If you are the list admin and not also a list member, you can supply
the list admin or moderator password, and in Mailman 2.1.10, this will
have the additional benefit of showing hidden members.

Also see
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.060.htp>
for a different aspect of this subject.

Note that the email 'who' command has different syntax depending on the
setting of private_roster. If you send a 'help' command to a list's
-request address, you will get a description of the various requests
with the appropriate syntax for that list.