[Mailman-Users] How to allow mail from domain.edu but no others?

Chris Waltham cwaltham at bowdoin.edu
Tue Sep 18 22:31:07 CEST 2007

On Sep 18, 2007, at 11:40 AM, Mark Sapiro wrote:

> Chris Waltham wrote:
>>
>> I'd like to allow both list members and non-list members to be able
>> to post to a mailing list I help admin. So, I want to allow
>> *@bowdoin.edu to post, but no other domain names. Is there an easy
>> way to do accomplish that? Looking at the web interface, I would
>> ordinarily use the member_posting_only feature but that won't work in
>> this case (because non-list members need to be able to post to the
>> list, so long as they're from *@bowdoin.edu).
>>
>> Is there a way to accomplish this without involving the MTA? This is
>> with mailman 2.0.12 (I know, I know!) on SPARC Solaris.
>

> It's trivial in Mailman 2.1. Just put
>
> ^.*@bowdoin\.edu
>
> in accept_these_nonmembers. In Mailman 2.0, the roughly corresponding
> list attribute is posters, but posters accepts only addresses, not
> regexps matching addresses.
>
> I think your choices are either upgrade or implement a custom handler.

Thanks for your reply, Mark. Because we're changing architectures
(SPARC to Linux) and MTAs (postfix to Sendmail), we don't want to
upgrade the existing 2.0.12 installation. So, I've been building a
2.1.9 installation for the new Linux box and trying to get everything
squared away before we change. There's a lot of lists & a lot of
mail, so we want to do it once and do it right!

Thanks again for helping me apply band-aids to my current situation.

Chris