[Mailman-Users] Where do I find mailman log file analysis tools

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Mon Sep 17 19:20:02 CEST 2007

On 9/17/07, Rusty Wilson wrote:

>  I'm trying to find a good (or even usable) mailman log file analyzer - but
>  I'm not having any luck.

For Mailman logs, I couldn't find anything myself, so I wrote mmdsr,
the "Mailman Daily Status Report" script, mentioned in FAQ 1.30 at
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq01.030.htp>.
This script is now included as part of the official tarball that you
can download from our site.

>  In my searching through the FAQ, the list archives, and sf.net I
>  found references to:
>
>  1. sawmill (www.sawmill.net)
>  2. lire (www.logreport.org)
>  3. references to custom scripts (but could not find them)

I've been a big supporter of Lire for years, but I've never heard of sawmill.

Of course, most of these tools are going to analyze system log files
as generated by your MTA, and not log files as generated by Mailman.

>  My needs are pretty simple, so before I set off and write my own scripts,
>  I thought I would check here first.

Feel free to make modifications to mmdsr, if you like.  All I ask is
that you contribute your changes back to the group.

>  Right now - all I really need is something that will parse the "subscribe"
>  log file so that I can report on things like:
>
>  1. how many people subscribed in a given time frame (week, month, ad-hoc)
>  2. how many people un-subscribed in a given time frame
>  3. how many people are "pending"
>  4. total subscribed, unsubsctibed, pending, etc...

You'll get some of this from mmdsr, but only on a purely daily basis
-- I haven't been looking at any longer time frames.

>  There was a refernce in an email to scipts "in the archive" that may do
>  this and/or more - but I have not found them in the list, or on sf.net

The mmdsr script should be on SourceForge, because I put it there.
If you've got the official Mailman 2.1.9 tarball from our site,
you'll also find a copy included there.

>  Can anyone get me pointed in the right direction - i dont see any need
>  to re-invent what has most likely already been done...

For longer periods of time, you may end up at least modifying the
wheel, but for daily reports I've done everything I can think of in
mmdsr, which is why the script hasn't changed in a fairly long time.
If you can think of anything else that needs to be done, please let
us know.