[Mailman-Users] Adding the list aliases

Barry Finkel b19141 at britaine.ctd.anl.gov
Fri Sep 7 14:59:49 CEST 2007

"mattias" <jonsson at mj1.mine.nu> wrote:

>>>Eh i try i understand
>>>But the command newaliases -o ???
>>>Or
>>>Should i run

and I replied:

>>newaliases -oA/etc/aliases
>>
>>assuming that that is the name of your aliases file.

and mattias replied:

>But are the command -o not removed in the newest mailman versions?

The newaliases command is a sendmail and/or Postfix command.  It is
supplied by those packages, not by Mailman.  The command takes

     /etc/aliases

and creates

     /etc/aliases.dir
     /etc/aliases.pag

These two files are internal database formats of the aliases file
so that the sendmail/Postfix can search the alias file/database
more quickly.
Barry S. Finkel
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov