[Mailman-Users] Mailing List - people say their e-mails "never appear"

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Thu Sep 6 06:33:40 CEST 2007

On 9/5/07, Patrick M. wrote:

>  I just installed Mailman on our load balanced Postfix servers.  Both
>  servers share a common NFS point.

Did you install it on all of them, or just one?  When you say they
share a common NFS point, are you trying to use NFS for the postfix
mail queue (which is a really, really bad idea), or just for the user
mailboxes (which is also usually a bad idea, although it can be made
somewhat less bad if you choose a mailbox format that is less
NFS-unfriendly)?

Mailman itself is about as NFS-friendly as can be reasonably done,
but that still leaves a lot of room for problems.  Many of the other
parts of most mail systems are much, much less NFS-friendly than
Mailman.

>  Please forgive me, as I'm very new to Mailman.  While I know my way
>  around Postfix, troubleshooting Mailman is another issue.

When troubleshooting Mailman, you generally want to start with the
steps outlined in FAQ 4.78 at
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.078.htp>.
You should also search the FAQ Wizard for other things that might be
related to your problems, and you should also search the archives.

>  Since I don't know how to troubleshoot Mailman, I can only suspect that
>  is has something to do with the NFS, although another part of me is
>  telling me that it can't be.

If NFS is involved anywhere in the picture, odds of Mr. Murphy
raising his nasty head have been increased by many, many orders of
magnitude.

That said, there are occasionally times when such a system has
problems that are actually unrelated to NFS.