[Mailman-Users] Fixed the To address problem now additional issues

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Sep 3 17:31:38 CEST 2007

Mervyn Kahn wrote:

>Sending you an copy of the original as was sent to mailman in a separate e
>mail and here are the headers of the received e mail.
<snip>

>Cc: "\[Epasella\] " <epasella at gmail.com>
>To: info at epasella.com
>Sender: epasella-bounces at gmail.com

There are problems in your 'epasella' list configuration.

The gmail.com domain in all the email addresses above comes from the
list's host_name attribute on the General Options page. This should
not be 'gmail.com'. It should be the domain to which list email (e.g.
a post) is sent. Probably 'epasella.biz'.

As far as the Cc: is concerned, I should have caught this earlier, but
I was thrown off by the gmail.com domain. The "[Epasella] " part is
the list's description attribute (on the General Options page), and
the address <epasella at gmail.com> is what Mailman thinks is the list
posting address. Again, the gmail.com domain comes from host_name.

The reason this address appears as a Cc: is that it is no longer in the
To: header because the list is fully personalized, and we want it to
be somewhere in the headers so that the recipient can 'reply all' back
to the list.

In Mailman 2.1.5, you don't have much choice. We will not put the list
posting address in a Cc: if reply_goes_to_list is set to 'This list',
but this may be undesirable for many reasons. That's the only way to
get rid of the Cc: completely for a fully personalized list without
hacking the code.

Beginning in Mailman 2.1.6, we also do not put the posting address in a