[Mailman-Users] Cleaning up archive that aren't in mbox format?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Sep 3 06:48:07 CEST 2007

Dennis Carr wrote:

>My list server, as near as I can tell, does not appear to be parsing out
>from mbox format.
>
>(To backtrack, early last month, I had asked the list for help on
>correctly parsing out the From information.  It is apparently doing this
>correctly, as in putting the > in front of the From.)

What are you looking at that has the properly escaped >From_?

>Now, though, I have the 2007-July file that has the broken messages
>still in here.
>
>In short, did I run the archiver correctly?  Or for that matter, where
>should I be looking/running this file/whatever?

You never answered the questions I asked (see
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2007-August/058047.html>).

However, there should be an archives/private/ffml.mbox/ffml.mbox file
which contains all posts to the ffml list. Look at that file and see
if the From_ line in the body of the Fri Jul 6 00:13:27 PDT 2007
Happosai's Life of DOOM #6 post is escaped with a leading '>' or not.
It should be.

If it is and if

bin/cleanarch -n < archives/private/ffml.mbox/ffml.mbox

doesn't report any problems, then

bin/arch --wipe ffml

should rebuild the archive.

If there are problems with the ffml.mbox file, then you can run

bin/cleanarch < archives/private/ffml.mbox/ffml.mbox > tmpfile
mv tmpfile archives/private/ffml.mbox/ffml.mbox

before running bin/arch as above.

If there are problems, then I think you must somehow have the wrong
python email library. Refer to the questions in my above referenced
reply to your original post.