[Mailman-Users] Aliases file and upgrading

runner at winning.com runner at winning.com
Sat Sep 1 20:50:26 CEST 2007

Just tried to upgrade by migrating our lists from mailman 1.0 to mailman 2.1.9 on new hardware.  Pre-upgrade testing worked fine but after the real migration I saw a lot of "user unknown" errors in postfix's maillog.    After investigating I found a lot of rejected mail destined for owner-listname.  I compared the list aliases from the old and new mailman installs and discovered the old  version generated an alias in the format owner-listname and listname-owner but the new mailman only generates listname-owner.  My first thought was to add the additional alias to each migrated list to catch these emails.  However, I also decided I might need to determine where these emails are coming from; maybe not.  They either came from the old mailman system and for whatever reason, were delayed and subsequently delivered to the new server.  Or, the new mailman server generated them because of some setting that was migrated from the old server.

I'm not concerned about the first scenario but I'd like to know if the second scenario is possible.  I'd like to find the answer to these two questions:

1) Is there any problem with manually adding the extra alias owner-listname for each migrated list and
2) Is is possible that mailman 2.1.9 is generating references to owner-listname and if so, is that a problem?

--
We've Got Your Name at http://www.mail.com !