[Mailman-Users] Odd code when receive mail via mailman

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Oct 27 00:38:39 CEST 2007

April Mar wrote:

>I have a mailman list that is set to be a one way announcement list.  I have had complaints from some people that they get this weird coded stuff when they get a message that looks something like this (I am making the actual numbers up)
>
>03 42 32 20 53 A0 D0 23 23 50 D0 20 S0   "the body of the text
>D9 39 20 D2 19 10 12 22 39 30 40 29 19      is written oddly over here"
>
>Has anyone ever seen that.

If there were = signs instead of spaces as in

=03=42=32=20=53=A0=D0=23=23 ...

that would be raw quoted-printable encoding. Possibly some MTA between
Mailman and the end user is re-encoding the message body as quoted
printable and the end user's MUA doesn't understand it.

>When I send the same person who is getting this odd code via the mailing list a test message directly from my own email it comes through just fine.  It seems to only happen via the list, and not to all people.

What we would like to see to even guess what is happening is the raw
message source of the message you receive from the list and the raw
message source of the same message as received by the user who sees
the strange encoding.