[Mailman-Users] Disappearing message

Anne Ramey anne.ramey at ncmail.net
Fri Oct 26 22:22:00 CEST 2007

<snip>
> Way 2 is to modify scripts/post to log something. At the end of the
> main() function following:
>
>     inq = get_switchboard(mm_cfg.INQUEUE_DIR)
>     inq.enqueue(sys.stdin.read(),
>                 listname=listname,
>                 tolist=1, _plaintext=1)
>
> add
>
>     print >> sys.stderr, _('post to %(listname)s received and queued')
>

> This will write the 'post to %(listname)s received and queued' message
> with the listname filled in to both the error and post logs for every
> post. This again will tell you if the post got to the post script.

<snip>

OK, I added this code, but I get this:
Oct 26 16:18:41 2007 post(17996): post to %(listname)s received and queued
in the error log (it doesn't replace the listname with the variable) and
nothing in the post log.  Did I do something wrong?

def main():
    # TBD: If you've configured your list or aliases so poorly as to get
    # either of these first two errors, there's little that can be done to
    # save your messages.  They will be lost.  Minimal testing of new lists
    # should avoid either of these problems.
    try:
        listname = sys.argv[1]
    except IndexError:
        print >> sys.stderr, _('post script got no listname.')
        sys.exit(1)
    # Make sure the list exists
    if not Utils.list_exists(listname):
        print >> sys.stderr, _('post script, list not found: %(listname)s')
        sys.exit(1)
    # Immediately queue the message for the incoming qrunner to
process.  The
    # advantage to this approach is that messages should never get lost --
    # some MTAs have a hard limit to the time a filter prog can run.
Postfix
    # is a good example; if the limit is hit, the proc is SIGKILL'd
giving us
    # no chance to save the message.
    inq = get_switchboard(mm_cfg.INQUEUE_DIR)
    inq.enqueue(sys.stdin.read(),
                listname=listname,
                tolist=1, _plaintext=1)
    print >> sys.stderr, _('post to %(listname)s received and queued')

Anne