[Mailman-Users] Reporting

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Oct 25 17:55:13 CEST 2007

Tom Ray [Lists] wrote:

>According to the report one list has 14,297 posts but according to the
>Post Count by Sender report 13,797 of those posts came from
>listname-request at . So does that mean that only 500 posts were made by
>members or are those 13,797 more then just commands from the members? I
>would appreciate a better explanation on that.

This is a bug in Mailman pre 2.1.7 that logged the envelope sender of
the outgoing message instead of the incoming message.

>Also, under the Hourly Summary of Message Sent report from the smtp log.
>The totals are based on how many email addresses the message was sent
>to, correct? So if a list has 250 members it counts each message per
>member? I know that it bundles the message per connection so a single
>SMTP connect could have 100 messages in it. I just want to make sure.

Yes, you are correct. This comes from the smtp log and is the total
number of recipients which depending on mm_cfg settings could be one
smtp connection per recipient or a single smtp connection with a few
smtp transactions with hundreds of recipients per transaction, or
something in between. But the number is always the total recipients.

>The problem is that my email server is being beaten in to the ground and
>it looks like this clients lists (they have 8 or so) are seeing a heavy
>increase in membership and frequency. I need to put numbers together so
>I can tell them they need to either get a dedicated list server or pay
>more (so I can upgrade!).
>
>Any help would be great. I'm just a bit ignorant on the internal
>workings of MM but am learning. Plus I don't know Python from a hole in
>the ground so I'm leery about messing with code to much.

The mmdsr report gives you post count per list and by sender, but due
to the mailman bug in 2.1.6 and earlier, these are usually the same
since the sender is list-bounces.

It also gives the hourly summary of posts and of messages sent, the
latter of which is really the number of recipients, not the number of
smtp transactions or smtp connects.

It does not give you messages sent by list. In order to get that, you
need to look at the 'post' log to get the list and from information
and the message-id and then get the corresponding message-id entry
from the smtp log to get the number of recipients.