[Mailman-Users] problem under gentoo

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Oct 18 19:36:46 CEST 2007

Luo Hei wrote:
>When I use the start script simply fails
>without leaving any message.

What start script?

>I run mailman and it starts ok, but when a
>mail is sent to any mailing list I get this error mail:
>Command died with status 2:
>"/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post red-admin". Command output: Group
>mismatch error. Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be executed as
>group "postfix", but the system's mail server executed the mail script as
>group "nobody". Try tweaking the mail server to run the script as group
>"postfix", or re-run configure, providing the command line option
>`--with-mail-gid=nobody'.
>
>How can I fix this?

See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq06.016.htp>.

You have two choices to fix this just as the message says.

If you configured and installed Mailman from source, you can change the
group that Mailman expects with the configure command line option
--with-mail-gid=nobody. If this is a gentoo package, you may or may
not be able change the group the wrapper expects. Whether you can and
how is a gentoo question.

Your other choice is the make Postfix invoke the wrapper as group
'postfix'. You do this by making the owner of the aliases* files in
which postfix finds the Mailman aliases be a user in the 'postfix'
group. Note that the owner has to be in the 'postfix' group; it is not
sufficient to make the group of the files 'postfix'.