[Mailman-Users] Broken mailman

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Oct 18 16:24:46 CEST 2007

Donovan R. Palmer wrote:

>When starting up the mailman service, I get the following error:
>
>mazar:/usr/lib/mailman # service mailman start
>Starting mailman (Warning: the Apache2 webinterface for Mailman has not been activated!)                                                             done

This appears to be specific to your Mailman package, whatever that is.
The Mailman project distribution issues no such message, but all it
seems to be saying is your web server isn't running when you start
Mailman. This should not be a problem for Mailman except that you
can't use the web interface until you start the web server.

>Doing some digging around, when I attempt to apply a template to my new list, using this command:
>
>bin/config_list -i data/sitelist.cfg allstaff

The data/sitelist.cfg list configuration is intended to be used only
for the site ('mailman') list. For any other list, you ar probably
better off with the normal defaults.

>I receive the following error
>
>  File "bin/config_list", line 362, in <module>
>    main()
>  File "bin/config_list", line 357, in main
>    do_input(listname, infile, checkonly, verbose)
>  File "bin/config_list", line 263, in do_input
>    execfile(infile, globals)
>IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'data/sitelist.cfg'
>
>Any suggestions on what could be the problem and how to debug this? I have dug around a fair bit this morning and don't have a clue as to what the problem is or why it even broke in the first place.

This error occurs because there is no data/sitelist.cfg file. Either it
has been removed or was never included in your package or possibly
mailman's data/ directory is not in the same parent directory
(/usr/lib/mailman ?) as Mailman's bin/ directory.

As far as I can tell from what you've provided, Mailman is not broken.
The problems are only that Apache wasn't running when you started
Mailman, and a file that you don't need anyway may be missing.