[Mailman-Users] FW: RE: UNSUBSCRIBE REQUEST additional informationrequested

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Oct 16 18:30:31 CEST 2007

Mervyn Kahn wrote:

>I have something weird going on and I cannot figure out what has gone wrong.

Nor can I really, from the information provided, but here are some
hints.

>I set up a mini list of email addresses to notify some addresses that they
>had provided an incorrect unsubscribe address.
>The unsubscribe requests come to a different email program.
>
>After sending I then unsubscribed the entire list who had been notified and
>removed them completely from mailman.
>
>Then I started receiving bounce messages.

You are receiving 'unrecognized bounces' because the 'sender' of
messages from a mailman list is the listname-bounces at ... address and
the complainer's mail client or the complainer directly is replying to
this address. These are not actual bounces.

>Now I find that it is bouncing and sending the message to users who are not
>on the list.

Use the bin/find_member tool to verify that an address is not on any
list. E.g., in this case

bin/find_member lyndal

will find all members of any lists that have 'lyndal' in the address.

Also, set

VERP_DELIVERY_INTERVAL = 1

in mm_cfg.py so that messages to the user are sent by
'listname-bounces+user=example.com at ... which will help the recipient
(and you) identify the actual subscribed address.