[Mailman-Users] Moderation

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Oct 16 18:16:41 CEST 2007

Mikael Hansen wrote:

>I was reminded of the following from the "Mailing list Configuration
>Help,
>moderator Option" page:
>
>"The list moderators ... are allowed to tend to pending
>administration requests, including approving or rejecting held
>subscription requests, and disposing of held postings."
>
>Is this moderation though or list administration? Stuff like max
>message body and dealing with non-subscriber addresses does not spell
>moderation to me (although it is nice to approve such in some cases).

See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.045.htp>
and
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.060.htp>
for information about what roles/capabilities are given to 'admins'
and 'moderators' in Mailman.

>Conventional moderation may well be turning on moderation for a given
>subscriber, but I am not interested in this to the extent that I
>don't know whether it is possible in Mailman.

Yes, it is possible. See settings under Privacy options...->Sender
filters and the 'mod' column in Membership Management...->Membership
List.

>The moderation that appeals to me is for instance putting a given
>subscriber on leave for a given number of days to cool off (without
>manually having to keep track of when it expires).
>
>Useful would also be assigning a given number of messages that
>subscribers can post in 24 hour period (all or given subscribers). If
>the max is reached, the moderator is sent a request to approve or deny.
>
>Would this one day be possible?

You could submit a feature request (see
<http://wiki.list.org/display/DEV/Mailman+2.2> and
<http://wiki.list.org/display/DEV/Mailman+3.0>), but the best way to
get something like this into the code base is to implement it yourself
(following the style suggestions at
<http://barry.warsaw.us/software/STYLEGUIDE.txt>) and submit it as a
patch.