[Mailman-Users] mailman-2.1.9 on Solaris 8: /bin/sh: /bin/update:cannot execute

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Oct 12 19:21:07 CEST 2007

gregben wrote:

>I'm having trouble with
>
># make install
>
>The last few lines of output are:
>
>Compiling /usr/local/mailman/Mailman/htmlformat.py ...
>Compiling /usr/local/mailman/Mailman/i18n.py ...
>Compiling /usr/local/mailman/Mailman/versions.py ...
>/bin/sh: bin/update: cannot execute
>make: *** [update] Error 1
>#
>
>The file bin/update contained:
>
>#! @PYTHON@
>
>in the shebang line.

Something is wrong here, because make install should be running
bin/update from the installation ($prefix) directory, and all the
scripts in that directory should have been installed from configure's
build/ directory and should have had the @PYTHON@
 in the shebang line changed to an actual path by configure.

>I changed this to:
>
>#!/usr/local/bin/python
>
>and this allows me to execute /bin/update from the command line
>but the make install still fails so I must barking up the wrong tree.

/bin/update ? or do you mean $prefix/bin/update ?

bin/update is the very last thing run by make install, so if make
install fails in running bin/update, and you fix the problem and run
bin/update successfully, you are done.

How does make install fail the second time? The same way?

There are 3 bin/update files (if you run configure and make correctly)

1) bin/update in the unpack-configure directory with a #! @PTHHON@
shebang

2) build/bin/update in the unpack-configure directory created by
configure with a proper path in the shebang

3) bin/update in the installation ($prefix) directory installed from 2)
by make install.

It is 3) that is run at the end of make install.