[Mailman-Users] Preventing spam to list owners

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Mon Oct 1 05:21:20 CEST 2007

On 9/30/07, Mark Sapiro wrote:

>  I use spamassassin with a pretty low threshold, but there is so much
>  volume that the 5% that gets through is a bunch. I wish I had a better
>  solution.

There are an infinite variety of "solutions" to the "spam problem",
and the problem is that what solves the problem 100% for some sites
is not even a 5% solution for others, but the people who implemented
that solution don't know or care that works well for them won't
necessarily work well for others -- they think they have the FUSSP
(see <http://www.rhyolite.com/anti-spam/you-might-be.html>), but they
have not understood the true nature of the FUSSP.

In my experience, SpamAssassin is one good tool in the kit, and there
are a variety of ways to install and configure it, and if you haven't
recently explored all of those ways then you might want to check out
the latest versions.  That said, SpamAssassin is most definitely not
the FUSSP, and you will most likely need to also use other tools in
your kit to help you fight this battle.