[Mailman-Users] another question about invitation confirmationsubject line/VERP

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Thu Nov 29 21:20:36 CET 2007

On 11/29/07, Christopher Adams wrote:

>  Thanks to all for the plethora of information about VERP and how it is
>  used by the MTAs and Mailman. Just for clarification, I don't have a
>  list of 250,000 subscribers, just a site that has a total of 250,000
>  subscribers over 500+ lists. I think the largest is about 40,000.

That would still make it one of the larger Mailman installations I know of.

>  VERPing the confirmations seems to work as expectedc and I assume that
>  there is not much of a burden on the server without VERPing every
>  message or even VERPing a sample of messages.

There shouldn't be a whole lot of load resulting from VERP'ing the
confirmations, no.  Those should be going out, at most, once per day
per recipient who's been identified as needing confirmation.  Even if
all your lists were announce-only lists and you only got one
announcement per list per month, you should probably see more
"regular" traffic than the confirmations.

I'm not sure, but turning on verp_confirmations may result in other
list administrative functions also being VERP'ed, but again even if
you put all them together, they should still be a relatively small
fraction of your overall volume.

Please let us know if you have any further questions, or if you'd be
willing to contribute more information to be put into the FAQs.