[Mailman-Users] another question about invitation confirmationsubject line/VERP

Christopher Adams adamsca at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 22:50:58 CET 2007

Thank you for clarifying that. I assumed from the Postfix/VERP
configuration documentation (below) that the '+' delimiter would be
used regardless of entering it in the Postfix main.cf file. I should
tried adding it anyway, but I hadn't gotten to that step yet.  Thanks,
it works as it should.

Quoted from documentation:

With Postfix, the whole process is controlled by four configuration parameters.

default_verp_delimiters (default value: +=)

On Nov 27, 2007 1:35 PM, Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:
> Christopher Adams wrote:
> >
> >One question- Since the subject line is changed and replaces the
> >confirmation ID code with other text, does that mean that simple
> >replying to the message to confirmm will no work?
>

> It will still work if your incoming MTA recognizes addresses of the form
>
>    listname-confirm+xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx at example.com
>
> as an address to be delivered to listname-confirm at example.com.
>

> >I have tested this
> >and found that I can confirm by clicking on the link and going to the
> >web page or by composing a new message with the confirm code in the
> >body, sent to the list-request address.
>

> The confirmation message the user receives is From: an address like the
> one above. Simply replying to that message (i.e.sending the reply to
> listname-confirm+xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx at example.com) will work if
> the MTA delivers it to mailman properly.
>

> >By default, Postfix allows VERP to rewrite the subject, but is other
> >configuration necessary to make the Reply to the confirmation message
> >work, or is that feature lost when VERPing?
>

> In Postfix, you need
>
> recipient_delimiter = +
>
> for this to work. VERP should not affect this as it manipulates the
> envelope sender, not the From: header.
>
> --

Christopher Adams
adamsca at gmail.com