[Mailman-Users] Mailman does not like german umlaute

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Nov 27 22:17:11 CET 2007

Andre Tann wrote:

>machine. Now everything works fine, except one thing: sending a mail
>with a german umlaut in the subject line looks sometimes normal,
>but sometimes it looks like this:
>
>	Jemand erhält Zuschlag für Einkauf
>
>The sender is an Entourage on a Mac OS X. If the Mac-User sends his
>mail to me and in copy to the mailman list, then the mail sent
>directly to me looks OK, and the one running through mailman looks
>garbled.

It looks like something is encoding the characters as utf-8 and then
the utf-8 characters are not being identified/rendered properly.

What does the raw subject header look like in the mail that comes to
you directly? Is it RFC 2047 encoded
<http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2047.html>, or is it just a raw subject
with non-ascii characters encoded in some non-specified character set.

Also, what is the list's preferred language?

The only issue of which I am aware in current mailman is that non-RFC
2047 encoded 8-bit characters in the subject will cause the addition
of subject_prefix to be skipped.