[Mailman-Users] Password addon

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Nov 26 21:52:58 CET 2007

Melinda Gilmore wrote:

>Does anyone know of a mailman addon that will disable user passwords.

Disable in what sense? In the sense of allowing anyone to change a
user's options or visit private archives without any form of
authentication, or with some authentication method other than a
password? If that's what you mean, then I'm not aware of anything.

If you just mean not telling users about the password and not sending
reminders, you can set a list to not send reminders (General
Options->send_reminders), and you can edit the list welcome message
and listinfo templates to remove the password references.

>Does
>anyone know if this issues was resolved in 2.1

I don't understand what 'resolution' you're looking for.

>Can anyone just explain the
>new password for users and administrators.  I am looking on the website, but
>could use a knowledgeable persons explanation.

Have you seen <http://www.list.org/mailman-member/index.html>?

If you are asking why there is a password, the password is required to
authenticate the user before allowing the user to change her
subscription options via web or email, obtain a private roster
available to list members via web or email or view private archives.

If the user doesn't want to do any of these things, she doesn't need to
know a password.