[Mailman-Users] reject oversize messages rather than hold for moderation?

Eric Smith eric at brouhaha.com
Sun Nov 25 01:54:45 CET 2007

Is there any easy way to get Mailman to reject oversize messages,
rather than holding them for moderation, or does anyone have a patch?
I'm really getting sick of dealing with those.

I spent a few minutes looking at whether I could hack it in myself.
I quickly found the code that makes the "hold" decision for oversized
messages, in Mailman/Handlers/Hold.py, but it wasn't obvious how to change
it to do a rejection rather than a hold.

The structure of Mailman seems confusing to me.  It appears that it is
organized in terms of making all of the "hold" decisions in one place,
and the "reject" decisions in another.  I'd have expected it to identify
the possible problems with a message, and allow list-admin-configurable
policy decisions to be made for each of those problems.  But perhaps the
current structure makes sense to those who have better knowledge of
Mailman internals.

Eric