[Mailman-Users] Saved configurations are not applied to email sent to list members

Keith Daniels keithwdaniels at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 18:06:21 CET 2007

I am at a total loss.  I have run check_perms and then compared all my
directories and their permissions/ownership to the ones I have seen in
the forums and I can see no problems.  There are no error entries in
either Mailman's logs or in the apache logs for <list.my.domain>.com
nor in the postfix logs.

Note: What I  say about what it does and does not do, only applies to
the "mailman site list".   I wanted to make sure that list worked
normally before I sent mailings out to the real list.  The real list
was imported from another server.  It appears in /listinfo pages and
you can login and change the configuration as well as view the old
archives that I transferred.  So the transfer looks good but I worry
about it having the same problems as the mailman list.

What the mailman list does do:

1 - It receives and sends post to the list
2 - It saves the web interface configuration changes to the *.pck file
( I tested this several ways)
3 - You can create a new list.

What the mailman list does not do:

1 - It does not apply configuration settings to emails sent to the
list members.  (headers, footers, accept_these_nonmembers and all
other changes made in the web interface)

What the delivered post looks like:

  It looks just like "any email" I would have sent directly from
Yahoo.  My test have been made sending mail from a Yahoo.com account
to mailman@<my.domain>.com which are then sent to an account at
Gmail.com

Here is a sample of a recieved post:
        from         XXXX XXXXX <xxxxxxxx at yahoo.com>
        to           "mailman@<my.domain>com" <mailman@<my.domain>.com>
        date         Nov 24, 2007 10:45 AM
        subject      Mailman test #1929
        signed-by    yahoo.com

Mailman test #1929

Does anyone have any clues about what could cause this or any ideas of
anything I could test or check?

If this looks like a lot of work to figure out and/or fix I would
rather just remove Mailman and reinstall the latest version for Suse
10.0.

Any opinions about the validity of re-installing?

-------------------------------
Computer setup & other info:
-------------------------------

System Info:
  Brand  unknown
  Pentium4-HT
  1 gig ram

Software Info:
  (installed by ISP originally -- I am just configuring it)
  All installed by RPMs, probably from SUSE
  Suse 10.0
  Mailman vs 2.1.6
  Postfix v2.2.5
  Apache v2.0.54
  NO anti spam
  NO procmail
  All software install paths are standard SUSE 1.0.0

mm-cfg.py site-specific settings:
  MTA = 'Postfix'
  POSTFIX_ALIAS_CMD = '/usr/sbin/postalias'
  POSTFIX_MAP_CMD = '/usr/sbin/postmap'
  SMTPHOST = 'localhost'
  SMTPPORT = '25'

  DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://%s/mailman/'
  DEFAULT_NNTP_HOST = 'fos.<my.domain>.com'
  DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = '<my.domain>.com'
  DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'lists.<my.domain>.com'
  IMAGE_LOGOS = '/mailmanicons/'

My Access:
  I have a dedicated server and I have root access.

What I have done so far to find the answer:
  Searched the Documents, web site FAQ and googled a lot...