[Mailman-Users] Bounce handling for invalid owner adresses

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Nov 22 18:30:35 CET 2007

Sebastian Hagedorn wrote:

>we're using Mailman 2.1.9 for about 800 lists and or the most part we're
>very happy with it. However, with such a number of lists it's hard to keep
>track of lists that might not be used anymore. Sometimes we have lists with
>no subscribers, but more often we find that owner's addresses don't exist
>anymore. Currently Mailman just ignore bounces from owner addresses. I
>would like to see bounce handling foor those addresses similar to the
>existing regular bounce handling. One idea would be to send an alert to the
>mailman list if a specified number of bounces has accumulated for an owner
>address.

Actually, Mailman's intent is to send list-owner bounces to the site
list (mailman list) owner, but the current code doesn't work. I
discovered this recently when fixing another problem
(<https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1834569&group_id=103&atid=100103>).
The fix for list-owner bounces is complicated, and I haven't done it
yet, but I will try to do something for Mailman 2.1.10.