[Mailman-Users] Removing admin email addresses

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Nov 20 05:59:15 CET 2007

Spyro Polymiadis wrote:

>We just have had one of our IT guys leave our company, and I was wondering if there was an easy (bulk, cli) way to remove/change the email address from the "List of Administrators" (2nd text box in General Options)

There are a couple of ways to do this. If the owners of all lists are
the same, e.g. owner1 at example.com, owner2 at example.com and
owner3 at example.com, and you just want to remove owner2 from the list
leaving the other 2, you can prepare a file containing the lines

owner = ['owner1 at example.com',
         'owner3 at example.com'
        ]

and run

#!/bin/bash
cd /path/to/mailman
for list in `bin/list_lists --bare`
do bin/config_list -i path/to/file/above $list
done

If the owner lists are different and you just want to remove
ownerx at example.com from all lists in which it is an owner, you can put
the following script in Mailman's bin directory, naming it del_owner.py

def del_owner(mlist):
    if not mlist.Locked():
        mlist.Lock()
    try:
        mlist.owner.remove('ownerx at example.com')
        print 'ownerx at example.com removed from %s' % mlist.real_name
    except ValueError:
        print 'ownerx at example.com not owner of %s' % mlist.real_name
    if not mlist.owner:
        print 'list %s has no owners' % mlist.real_name
    mlist.Save()
    mlist.Unlock()

After saving the above as bin/del_owner.py, run

bin/withlist -a -r del_owner

Note that the file name is del_owner.py, but there is no .py in either
the withlist command or the function def.