[Mailman-Users] A question about Non-member filters

Barry Finkel b19141 at britaine.ctd.anl.gov
Mon Nov 19 21:10:25 CET 2007

Jim Park <jtp at cs.cmu.edu> wrote:

>All,
> I have a question on a problem that one of my list admins is seeing.
>We have a non-member filter setup for a specific email address that is
>allowed to post to a particular list.  When the list member attempts to
>send to the list the list admin receives the following information.
>My question is what does the Reason Message has implicit destination mean?

Implicit destination means that the list name was in a "Bcc:" line;
it was not in a "To:" nor "Cc:" line.  There are two ways to fix this:

1) Tell your posters to place the list name in a "To:" or "Cc:" line.
   That is what I do.

2) Under "Privacy options...", "Recipient filters" set the

        require_explicit_destination

   to No.  Mailman has this test because a lot of spammers put the
   recipient list in the "Bcc:", and I would advise against changing
   this default setting.

I do not know which test comes first - require_explicit_destination or
accept_these_nonmembers.  In any case, the explicit destination check
applies to all postings.
Barry S. Finkel
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov