[Mailman-Users] Virtual domains

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Nov 16 00:16:33 CET 2007

hjalmar wrote:

>Yes virtual domains, again.
>I have been reading and tested the virtual domain configuration as explained
>by the mailman documentation but I can't get it working at my work.

Which documentation.

>We have two domains domain1.com and domain2.com.
>domain1.com is the primary domain and domain2.com is the virtual one.
>
>In my /etc/mailman/mm_cfg.py config I have the following:
>
>MTA='Postfix'
>POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['lists.domain1.com', 'lists.domain2.com']

You may or may not want the primary domain listed here. If it is truly
the primary domain in Postfix, you don't need virtual alias maps for
that domain.

I suggest you want

POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['lists.domain2.com']

or if I look at what you have below, I think you want

POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['domain2.com']

i.e., the domain you want there is the virtual email domain.

>In postfix:
>mydomain = domain1.com
>myhost = mail.domain1.com
>mydestination = $myhost, localhost.$mydomain
>recipient_delimiter = +
>recive_override_options = no_address_mappings

I don't think you want the above line.

>alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases, hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases
>alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases, hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases

No. You want only

alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases

>virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual,
>hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman

You also want

virtual_alias_domains = domain2.com

>Files:
>/etc/postfix/virtual
>list-tow at domain2.com     list-tow

You don't want the above here, you want it below.

>/var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman
>list-one at domain1.com     list-one

and you don't want the above here at all. You just want the 10
addresses per list for the domain2 lists. Mailman will do this for you.

>/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases
>list-one                 "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post list-one"
>list-tow                 "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post list-tow"

Here you need 10 aliases per list and Mailman will do this for you.

>This create a lot of unessesary complexity. Everytime we have to create a
>new list on domain2.com we have also to edit /etc/postfix/virtual.

No. Every time you create/delete a domain2 list, Mailman will update
/var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman and
/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases for you.

Every time you create/delete a domain1 list, Mailman will update
/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases for you.

>How do I have to confiure mailman/postfix to let mailman automaticaly create
>the correct information for our list in t.ex.
>/var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman?

As I explain above.

Also see <http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node13.html> and
<http://www.list.org/mailman-install/postfix-virtual.html>.