[Mailman-Users] where do I edit English messages?

zbigniew szalbot zszalbot at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 17:22:19 CET 2007

Hi,

One more question...

Mark Sapiro pisze:

> zbigniew szalbot wrote:
>>
>>In order to handle some phrases better in Polish, I edited
>>/usr/local/mailman/messages/pl/LC_MESSAGES/mailman.po followed by
>>
>>msgfmt -o mailman.mo mailman.po
>>
>>Then I wanted to do the same for the English language as I find some phrases overly complicated for the current web users.
>>
>>However, I do not see the English language anywhere in
>>/usr/local/mailman/messages/
>>
>>Where do I edit it?
>

> The English language messages are in the Mailman code. The code
> contains things like _('English text'). This causes Mailman's i18n._()
> function to look up 'English text' in the messages file for the
> current language and present the resultant translation unless the
> current language is 'en' in which case, no translation is required.
>

>>I would like to edit this string:
>>
>>-----
>>Your confirmation is required in order to complete the subscription
> <snip>
>>-----
>

> If you find the "msgid" containing that string in
> /usr/local/mailman/messages/pl/LC_MESSAGES/mailman.po, you will see it
> is preceded by a comment like:
>
> #: Mailman/Cgi/confirm.py:246
>
> which tells you that the source of that string is the
> Mailman/Cgi/confirm.py module around line 246. If you want to change
> that string, you have to edit it in the confirm.py module. Then you
> also have to edit the corresponding msgid string in the mailman.po
> file for each language you allow and rebuild the corresponding
> mailman.mo files. Otherwise, the lookup of the edited string will fail
> and it won't be translated.

If I edit mailman.po for a given language and do not delete any line but
leave some of them empty (like this: " \n"). Can I do the same in the
confirm.py by leaving empty lines where I do not need any text?

For example the whole message:

-----
Your confirmation is required in order to complete the subscription
request to the mailing list test4test list.  Your subscription settings
are shown below; make any necessary changes and hit Subscribe to
complete the confirmation process.  Once you've confirmed your
subscription request, you will be shown your account options page which
you can use to further customize your membership options.

Note: your password will be emailed to you once your subscription is
confirmed.  You can change it by visiting your personal options page.

Or hit Cancel my subscription request if you no longer want to subscribe
to this list.
-----

I would like to shorten it to:

-----
Click Subscribe to complete the confirmation process or hit Cancel my
subscription request if you no longer want to subscribe to this list.
-----

Can I do it in confirm.py in such way that empty lines will not be
removed? If I do that, does it mean I do not have to rebuild mailman.po
for corresponding languages (as the number of lines will be the same)?

Thanks!

Zbigniew Szalbot