[Mailman-Users] Email subscribe interface and QP encoding

Barry Finkel b19141 at britaine.ctd.anl.gov
Fri Nov 9 16:35:49 CET 2007

Mark Sapiro wrote in reply to a posting:

>Does Outlook have an option to use 8bit encoding rather than QP, and
>why is it QP encoding a message that appears to not have any 8bit
>characters?

Will Outlook use QP when there is a blank character at the end of
a line in the body of the message?  I do not use Outlook, so I do not
know.  In the past I have seen many subscription attempts to our
Majordomo lists (most of which have been converted to Mailman) in
QP format, and the su_______ line has

     su______   listname user at example.com=20

and since Majordomo does not decode QP, the confirmation mail is
sent to an invalid address

     user at example.com=20

I have not experimented with administrivia mail to Mailman in QP
format, as I do not have an easy way to generate such mail.

Note I am using "su_______" so that my mail is not treated as
administrivia.
Barry S. Finkel
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov