[Mailman-Users] is it possible to set up mailman on a hostwithouta MTA?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Nov 8 06:17:56 CET 2007

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:

>But I don't want or need any MTA here ;)
>
>So I guess it's just a matter of simple scripting: fetching correct
>email using fetchmail, and passing it to mail/mailman program in a
>correct way. Anyone has it documented?

You can fetch the mail from the remote mailbox with fetchmail and pass
it from fetchmail to procmail. Then in your .procmailrc you can set
recipes to deliver to the Mailman mail wrapper with appropriate
options.

Here's an example of procmail recipes used in a somewhat different
context:

# LISTNAME mailman list....
:0
* EnvelopeTo ?? ^LISTNAME$
|sudo -u mailman /var/mailman/mail/mailman post LISTNAME
:E
* EnvelopeTo ?? ^LISTNAME-admin$
|sudo -u mailman /var/mailman/mail/mailman admin LISTNAME
:E
* EnvelopeTo ?? ^LISTNAME-bounces$
|sudo -u mailman /var/mailman/mail/mailman bounces LISTNAME
:E
* EnvelopeTo ?? ^LISTNAME-confirm$
|sudo -u mailman /var/mailman/mail/mailman confirm LISTNAME
:E
* EnvelopeTo ?? ^LISTNAME-join$
|sudo -u mailman /var/mailman/mail/mailman join LISTNAME
:E
* EnvelopeTo ?? ^LISTNAME-leave$
|sudo -u mailman /var/mailman/mail/mailman leave LISTNAME
:E
* EnvelopeTo ?? ^LISTNAME-owner$
|sudo -u mailman /var/mailman/mail/mailman owner LISTNAME
:E
* EnvelopeTo ?? ^LISTNAME-request$
|sudo -u mailman /var/mailman/mail/mailman request LISTNAME
:E
* EnvelopeTo ?? ^LISTNAME-subscribe$
|sudo -u mailman /var/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe LISTNAME
:E
* EnvelopeTo ?? ^LISTNAME-unsubscribe$
|sudo -u mailman /var/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe LISTNAME

In this case, EnvelopeTo is set to an argument passed to procmail, but
in your case with fetchmail from a single mailbox, the actual envelope
recipient probably isn't available, so you may need to look at To: and
Cc: headers instead which isn't as reliable.

The alternative as Dennis Putnam suggests is to create 10 mailboxes per
list at the remote. Then you can use fetchmail to fetch from a
specific mailbox and pipe to the wrapper with the appropriate
arguments.