[Mailman-Users] [Fwd: Error: "Bad owner email address:mailman@(unused)" in SuSE 10.1]

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Nov 2 18:58:36 CET 2007

Jacques Dailey wrote:

>I set up Mailman as described in the README.SuSE documentation included
>in the install package.  Everything seemed to be going fine until I got
>to step 4. ". . . call "/usr/lib/mailman/bin/newlist mailman" to create
>the master mailing list".  Doing so resulted in the error "Bad owner
>email address: mailman@(unused).
>I am running OpenSuSE 10.1 x86_64.  Upon checking /etc/aliases, I find
>the following entries:
>mailman:   root
>mailman-owner:   mailman

The "Bad owner email address: mailman@(unused)" error comes from
newlist and has nothing to do with aliases.

If you gave the command "/usr/lib/mailman/bin/newlist mailman" to
create the mailman list, you should have been prompted for "the email
of the person running the list:" and "Initial mailman password:"
asking for the list owner's email address and the admin password to
establish for the list.

The email address you enter needs to be a syntactically valid email
address including domain as in address at example.com.