[Mailman-Users] Posts to list returned

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Nov 2 04:36:15 CET 2007

Steven wrote:

>I just took those virtual mappings out of the /etc/mail/aliases file
>and re-ran newaliases.  I tested via telnet and the message posted to
>the list!  So, apparently my "listinquestion" aliases weren't in both
>aliases files originally.

There are two separate things.

Aliases of the form

listname:              "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post listname"

which map a local address such as 'listname' to a pipe command used to
deliver that mail to Mailman (these have ':' following the local
address)

and virtual host mappings of the form

name at example.com     localname

which map
 a virtual address to a local name (local address). These do not have a
colon and do not go in an alias file. They go in some kind of virtual
host mapping file (for sendmail, this may be /etc/mail/virtusertable).

This is where you would put your

listname at example.com         listname
listname-admin at example.com   listname-admin
etc.

entries, but note that these are only required if example.com is a
virtual host. If example.com is the MTA's primary local host, these
are not needed since listname at example.com is already delivered to the
local 'listname' address if possible.

Aside, it may be easier to test addresses with sendmail -bt than with
telnet.