[Mailman-Users] Moving Lists

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Fri May 25 07:28:05 CEST 2007

On 5/24/07, carconni wrote:

>  Thank you!  It sounds like you've saved me a lot of heartache.  We have
>  a Netapps that I was hoping to mount on the mail server  and was hoping
>  I could avoid losing mail when the mail server ran into problems.

You can copy stuff up there, as a periodic backup process.  I did
that kind of thing when I was the Sr. Internet Mail Administrator for
Global Network Navigator, which was a joint venture between AOL and
O'Reilly & Associates, and while it started out as the first major
Internet portal, it later became the first nationwide ISP.

But don't try to use a mail spool on top of NFS as a live filesystem.

>  It's my understanding that the next version on Leopard will support
>  mail clustering so the solution I was looking for was somewhat
>  temporary.  I'll have to give this a lot more thought.

Yeah, I don't think I'd really buy that.  At best, that's a version
1.0 product from a company that doesn't really understand Enterprise
requirements.

If you want to know how to properly build or operate a mail cluster,
I can point you to slides from invited talks that I've presented at
various conferences (see
<http://www.shub-internet.org/brad/papers/>), and consulting work
that I've done for large corporations.

I'm not currently in a position to officially do more of that kind of
consulting now, but I can at least give you some guidance, and may be
able to help you find someone who could help you implement that sort
of thing.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0