[Mailman-Users] mailman aliases

Christopher Adams adamsca at gmail.com
Thu May 24 18:37:32 CEST 2007

Thank you for all your ideas. I was just a bit surprised that a list
would be available for anyone to post to, since we emphasize to our
users that their lists are protected from spam, as all lists require
you to be a subscribe to post, and many require mod permissions to
post. That is still true and they are well protected, except for the
message sent directly to listname-owner.

Anyway, I will have to figure out a way to deal with the increase in
spam that I get at the mailman posting address. It is better to have
valid messages getting to me than to go nowhere, as they did before I
set up the mailman aliases for the mailman list.

Thanks for your answers.

On 5/23/07, Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> wrote:
> Christopher Adams wrote:
>
> >Thanks, Mark. That seemed too obvious. Doesn't setting
> >generic_nonmember_action to accept result in a lot of spam to the
> >Mailman site admin? How are others dealing with this?
>

> First, let me say that if your listinfo overview page says "If you are
> having trouble using the lists, please contact mailman at example.com",
> you should actually look at that mail.
>
> Unfortunately, changing the overview pages to not say that requires
> patching Mailman code so it isn't always feasable to remove the
> message. This will change in some future release, but that doesn't
> help the immediate situation.
>
> You can do other things with the list settings, but setting the list to
> reject or discard non-member posts is not right IMO. Setting the list
> to hold non-member posts is OK, but then the list admin or moderator
> has to deal with them anyway, so why not just accept them, at least if
> the person who receives them from the list is the same person who has
> to deal with them if they're held.
>
> You can also set some header_filter_rules to try to discard some spam
> if you can identify it that way.
>
> The first step though is to have some kind of spam filtering and/or
> greylisting on incoming mail so as little spam as possible even gets
> to Mailman in the first place. That's what I do for my lists and the
> list admins have to deal with the rest. And yes, I still spend an
> inordinate amount of time checking spam at least cursorily for
> legitimate messages.
>
> --
> Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net>       The highway is for gamblers,

Christopher Adams