[Mailman-Users] mailman aliases

Christopher Adams adamsca at gmail.com
Wed May 23 05:36:57 CEST 2007

Thanks,Mark. That helps explaining the purpose of the mailman list.

All our lists use the form listname at wherever.com (wherever.com is the
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST set in mm_cfg.py).

In my Postfix aliases file, I have all the list aliases including
aliases for the mailman list:

## mailman mailing list
mailman-admin:        "|/var/mailman/mail/mailman admin mailman"
mailman-bounces:      "|/var/mailman/mail/mailman bounces mailman"
mailman-confirm:      "|/var/mailman/mail/mailman confirm mailman"
mailman-join:         "|/var/mailman/mail/mailman join mailman"
mailman-leave:        "|/var/mailman/mail/mailman leave mailman"
mailman-request:      "|/var/mailman/mail/mailman request mailman"
mailman-subscribe:    "|/var/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe mailman"
mailman-unsubscribe:  "|/var/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe mailman"

So, in the general list info page, there is a line that says:

If you are having trouble using the lists, please contact mailman at wherever.com

Since that address is a post to the mailman mailing list, how does it
actually get delivered anywhere? I don't quite understand what you
mean about the general listinfo and admin pages exposing the mailman@
address in their own domain. I am unclear as to what that domain
should be.

On 5/22/07, Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> wrote:
> Christopher Adams wrote:
>
> >Just for clarification, what is the use for the mailman list that is
> >listed in the aliases file? Is this a required list and if so, what is
> >it's purpose.
>

> It is a required list in Mailman 2.1. bin/mailmanctl will not start
> Mailman if it isn't present. It is used as the apparent source of
> monthly password reminders and certain other notifications, the former
> because reminders are for all subscribed lists in a domain, not for
> individual lists, and the latter to avoid bounce loops on list-owner
> notices.
>
> It will go away in Mailman 2.2.
>

> >If that is not required, what are the necessary entries in the aliases
> >file to take care of mailman-bounces, mailman-owner, etc? Would that
> >just be aliases to individual email addresses to take care of messages
> >pointed to those mailman addresses.
> >
> >I have been runnning mailman for a number of years and it recently was
> >pointed out that the mailman at mydomain.com didn't go anywhere. So,  I
> >added an alias to it and to mailman-owner and mailman-bounces to my
> >email address in the aliases file.
> >
> >Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree here, but these have to point
> >somewhere. I have read through the Mailman installation docs and FAQ,
> >but can't find a definitive answer. Pointing me to some documentation
> >would be sufficient. Thanks
>

> The issue is somewhat tricky as the mailman list and its aliases are
> usually created in the DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST domain, but the listinfo and
> admin overview pages expose a mailman@ address in their own domain, so
> these addresses ought to be deliverable too. Likewise the
> mailman-bounces address. Aliases will point to e.g.
> "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post mailman",
> "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman bounces mailman", etc. which is the
> one and only 'mailman' list in the installation.
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> --
> Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net>       The highway is for gamblers,

Christopher Adams