[Mailman-Users] Broken signature because of multipart/alternative

Wilfred Gasper gasper at rz.rwth-aachen.de
Wed May 9 09:02:28 CEST 2007

Hi,

Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Wilfred Gasper wrote:
>>>       boundary="------------020000020307030005020605"
>

> I don't think those are extra spaces. This is a folded header, and I
> think what happens is the original header is folded with <CR><LF><SP>
> and it is processed by Mailman for some reason and when refolded by
> Mailman it is folded with <CR><LF><TAB>, thus breaking the signature.

you're right, it's an <TAB> instead of a <SP>. I tried an email with
text/plain and image/jpeg as attachment and the result was a change from
<CR><LF><SP> to <SP>.

> What is the list setting for filter_content? If it is Yes, you could
> try changing it to No and see if that helps.

Since it's a testing list, it's already set to No because I wanted the
email unchanged.

> The real issue is header folding and unfolding is ambiguous in the RFCs
> in the first place, and both <SP> and <TAB> are allowed as the folding
> white space. Thus, it turns out in practice that header unfolding and
> refolding is something of a black art and the underlying Python email
> library doesn't guarantee that transformations such as you've observed
> do not occur.

Thank you for this description. So there's nothing I can do against it
like using another version of Python?

Kind regards,
Wilfred Gasper

--
Wilfred Gasper
Seffenter Weg 23, 52074 Aachen (Germany)