[Mailman-Users] Random duplicate message to subscribers

Dragon dragon at crimson-dragon.com
Mon May 7 23:37:44 CEST 2007

Jason LaMar wrote:
>We have a fairly large list (more than 26,000 subscribers), and recently it
>appears a very small fraction of the subscribers have started receiving
>duplicate messages -- sometimes as many as a dozen or more. This behavior
>just started happening within the last couple of weeks, and it seems to only
>impact a minute and random subset of the subscribers. Anyone seen similar
>behavior or have suggestions on the most effective way to troubleshoot this?

There have been a number of discussions regarding similar things in
the last few months. IIRC almost all of them were due to filter rules
on the receiver end.

A search of the list archives for "duplicate posts" or something
similar ought to turn up the discussions. I don't know if anything
exists in the FAQ regarding this. However, it is highly unlikely that
Mailman is the culprit here. A check of the Mailman SMTP log and MTA
logs should be able to determine if multiple copies are being sent.

Far more likely is that the subscribers are getting multiple copies
of replies to their posts or they have filter rules that are copying
the posts instead of moving them.

>We're running version 2.1.5 on Red Hat Linux ES, and we've also had a few
>runaway Python processes in the last couple of months that forced us to
>restart the server. Perhaps this is all related and we just need to upgrade
>to 2.1.9. Anybody happen to have a pre-built RPM for RHEL 4 with the latest
>release?

Are you committed to Red Hat's way of doing things? If you don't
really care about their file hierarchy system, I would suggest
dumping the RPM and compiling from source yourself. I've done a
source install of various versions of Mailman on both an RHEL 4 and
an RHEL 6 system and never had a problem with doing so.

Otherwise, you are pretty much doomed to being behind a bit on
releases if you rely on a package distribution of Mailman.

Dragon