[Mailman-Users] Not Moderating a Moderator's Posting

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon May 7 17:43:55 CEST 2007

Barry Finkel wrote:

>We added some moderator e-mail addresses via the administrative
>web page, and we set a moderator password.  There is one minor
>problem:  the moderators are set to those persons whom we want to
>be able to post to the list (e.g., the building manager).  But those
>moderators are subscribed to the list, so when they post, their
>"moderation" flag is seen, and their postings are moderated.  I assume
>that the code does not check to see that the post is coming from a
>moderator and thus does not have to be moderated.  Is this a
>bug/design deficiency/characteristic that can be fixed in a future
>release?  I did not see anything during a quick search of
>Mailman-developers archives.

See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.060.htp>.

The moderator list attribute is only a list of addresses which will be
sent certain notifications. This is the design of current Mailman.

In some future Mailman beyond 2.2, there may be a true user database
and this may change.

>Note that I cannot easily turn off the "moderated" bit on the
>moderators' e-mail addresses, as the list is rebuilt nightly from the
>HR Database.

See Ralf's replies regarding sync_members.